Monday, July 5, 2010

Monday, June 7, 2010 - Lingnan Garden and Lai Chi Kok Park

Today was another lovely, sunny day and we are back in Hong Kong, relaxing in my uncle's mosquito-ridden house. I could not sleep the entire night, because I had heavy sheets pulled over my head to prevent the mosquitoes from attacking my face, which happened once and resulted in two large, hideous bites on my right cheek.

Ugly things aside, we are going a few blocks down the Lai Chi Kok fire station to Lingnan Garden and Lai Chi Kok Park. Lingnan Garden is a lovely "park" in the style of the palace gardens of Empress Dowager Cixi. There's a pebble road where you take off your shoes and walk barefoot on, which supposedly massages your feet at the vital points. There's a huge pond with turtles and koi that swim up in anticipation of food, when you lean closer to the rail. There's a small, artificial waterfall and traditional Chinese decor. Anyway, enough reading; I'll show you around.

a tiny lizard basking in the sun, in the middle of the sidewalk
...it ran away when I approached it :(
entering Lingnan Garden
being fascinated by the doorway
turtle and koi pond; some people release their turtles and koi here, despite that being illegal
walking on the pebble stone path - quite painful, I must say; uncle was gasping the entire time
some old well that has long been covered up
a group of painters
miniature waterfall
peek-a-boo!
what kind of stance is this?
koi swimming up
stone carving of the Eight Immortals crossing the sea (also a popular Chinese idiom)
a Heavenly court

Lai Chi Kok park is more modern, and has a stage for performances. I was fascinated by the dolphin-shaped garbage cans. I wish I took a picture to show you, but that would be weird. Besides, who else would be easily astounded by animal-shaped trash cans?

0 comments:

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP